Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stolen Directly From My Blog

I was just thinking of my childhood, as I usually do when playing with Tyler. And I got to thinking of television and the silly "good parent TV limits" that are so popular today. My brother and I weren't given tv limits. But I don't remember prefering to stay in and watch it over going outside and playing. How did kids' TV habits go from saturday morning and a few miscelaneous hours after school to needing parents to set limits on what is on and when TV is watched. And most importantly if TV is limited to 30 minutes or an hour per day, how do the children get to see their favorite Sox players win in the 13th inning (also applies to bedtimes)? Riddle me that "TV limit" parents of the world!!

3 comments:

luke said...

We watched a lot at certain times, myself being sedentary by nature, so I can see limits if needed depending on the kid.

But baseball doesn't count. I think that things we watch together as a family wouldn't count, anyway. I used to stay up till the late hours with my parents during playoffs, things like that, even on school nights.

Anonymous said...

I think the same parents that have to set limits for their children’s TV watching are probably the same parents who set their babies and toddlers in front of the TV for hours a day so they (the parents) could do whatever and TVs in their minivans. Now, I know that every parent needs a break, and that entertainment is needed for long car rides, but, you know the difference.

They are the same parents who buy the video games to teach their kids about colors and shapes and animals instead of going outside to show them that the grass is green, tires are round and birds go chirp.

/off soapbox

luke said...

Not to be too contentious but...

If a parent limits their kids TV limits thats silly (Per original post), and if they don't then thats lame for letting them veg out(per RA comment)? Ouch!

Some kids (like me) just park themselves for long times and need to be motivated (ie told) to get outside and do something. This is assuming that as kids we had some unstructured time (IE not 100% mommy/daddy playtime), so probably an older type of kid also.

Taking your kids outside to see the grass IS limiting their TV time.

Respectfully, etc.