Thursday, August 9, 2007

Playing "What If" is scary.

What if the Red Sox end up with ARod?
What if my son, who is now two, reaches the age where he can have a "favorite player" a few years from now, and chooses the Sox' own shortstop (hoping that if they get him they will do the right thing), and wants an ARod jersey?

And why not? He'll be threatening the Bonds* home run totals, setting other records, and helping Boston win games.

My son won't remember Slappy McBlueLips, or the slide into Pedroia, or ARod the Yankee, so he'll have no reason not to cheer.

Would I tell him the truth, or let him have his favorite player?

4 comments:

Tuan said...

Who would pick A-Rod** freely? That leads me to question your ability to teach wrong and wronger.

**- refers to Yakeeness of said player

Josh said...

No.

No no no.

When I have children, they will not have free pick of who their favorite ballplayer will be. Nope.

They'll have to pick from a carefully pre-screened list of five to seven players, three of whom will be (automatically) Tim Wakefield, Jason Varitek and Moonlight Graham.

Down with A-Rod no matter WHAT jersey he wears ...

luke said...

Josh, that is a great strategy. How many years before you put Papelbon as number 4?

Dan said...

I'm with the guys on this one. If I had the choice between and A-Rod loving child or a pet watermelon I could drag around behind me with a Red Sox sticker on it, I'd go with the melon.

Then on a hot summer day, I could eat it. How many parents can boast that same claim about their children?